The wonderful Cristina over at Girl in the Pages tagged me in the Book Blogger’s Test. I’m so excited to participate!
What are your top three book pet hates?
2. Mary Sues
3. Broken spines, dog-eared pages, stains on the pages…
Describe your perfect reading spot.
I like curling up in the corner of the couch with a cup of coffee. When it’s not a billion degrees outside here in MS, I also like sitting on our front porch, but mostly I’m an inside-on-the-couch type of reader.
Tell us three book confessions.
1. I like screwed up characters. Give me all the messed up, super complex, “freaks”, please and thank you. If you’re a fan of Lost, Ben Linus is my favorite. In fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian, I have a soft spot for the “bad/evil” characters that have a seriously interesting back story that explains how they’ve gotten to this point..
2. It hurts me to give books low ratings, even if I truly didn’t like them. I feel really bad about it for some reason. I mean, I didn’t like it! What’s my problem?
3. I don’t know if this is much of a confession, but I can’t read more than one book at a time. I used to have to in high school and college, because I was always reading something other than what we had assigned to us (and I CANNOT read only one or two chapters for homework. I always read the whole book), but I can’t do it anymore. I like to focus on one world at a time. It’s too confusing to try to leave a world and enter another for short periods of time.
When was the last time you cried during a book?
It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
How many books are on your bedside table?
None, actually. I don’t usually put books on my bedside table, as I don’t read in bed. I will say that I’ve got both my Kindle and two other books on the tray next to the couch where I usually read: The Revealed is pulled up on my Kindle (my current read), Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson, and Necroscope by Brian Lumley.
What is your favorite snack to eat while you’re reading?
Does coffee count? I drink a lot of coffee. I don’t usually eat while I’m reading because I don’t like getting crumbs/stains on my books, but if I do snack, I like string cheese or cookies. 🙂
Name three books you would recommend to everyone.
1. The Humans by Matt Haig (all my readers saw this one coming)
2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
3. Any of the Harry Potter series, but my favorite is Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Show us a picture of your favorite shelf on your bookcase.
So before I moved to Scotland, my parents and I packed up ALL of my books, so I only have one bookshelf now instead of the FOUR I used to have. All of the books I have on this one shelf are ones I bought in Scotland or since I’ve been home. This shelf is filled with books I haven’t read of those.
That is an actual, REAL Venetian mask. 🙂 I got it when I was in Venice last year.
Write how much books mean to you in three words.
Air I breathe. Books are my heart and soul and my main passion in life. “She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live.” – Annie Dillard, The Living
What is your biggest reading secret?
I am not a fan of Jane Austen. I know. Don’t kill me. I’m an English major for crying out loud. I just don’t like her books.
Who I’m Tagging:
Selah @ A Bibliophile’s Style
Jo @ Drifting Pages
Rachael @ The End of the Chapter
Alison @ Hardcovers and Heroines
Littleonion @ Littleonionwrites
And YOU. If you are reading this and would like to participate, I’d love to read your answers.
Even if you just want to answer a couple in the comments. Please feel free!